Thank you for your interest in American Financial Solutions. We are currently hiring for the:
Instructions: All applicants are required to complete an AFS application form and send it with their resume and cover letter to HR2@myfinancialgoals.org Attention: Human Resources.
Application Form (.doc) *Important: If you are using an Apple product, please save the application as a PDF prior to sending it to us.
AFS is a 501(c3) nonprofit that provides Credit Counseling, Finance Education, Debt Management Plans, Bankruptcy Counseling, Homebuyer Counseling, and Student Loan Counseling. Our mission is to empower people to improve the quality of their lives through financial education and counseling. American Financial Solutions is a division of the North Seattle Community College Foundation.
American Financial Solutions (AFS) began operations in 1999 as a nonprofit credit counseling agency. Since that time, we have helped over 500,000 clients repay over $10 billion of debt. We have achieved these incredible results by providing our clients financial lifelines in times of hardship through our educational, counseling, and debt management programs. Our ultimate goal is to empower our clients on their journey to financial freedom.
At the heart of our organization is our staff. AFS is recruiting frontline staff members in our Origination and Client Services departments.
What makes working at AFS great?
- Being part of a team and company passionate about improving the financial lives of consumers in need.
- Enjoying a fun, supportive team and family-oriented work culture.
- Upon training, certification, and proven proficiency in the position, telecommuting opportunities are available.
Debt Resolutions/Customer Service Job Description
General Purpose: Take inbound calls and face to face appointments from people who are in need of education and counseling related to their financial circumstances. Counsel clients to assist them in understanding personal financial problems in order to define goals, evaluate options and develop realistic action plans to resolve their financial concerns. Refer clients to other agencies and organizations for services not provided by AFS. Assist clients enrolled on the Debt Management Plan (DMP) to succeed and complete the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor the call queue and answer incoming calls, return messages, and contact clients as required.
- Provide appropriate counseling for all callers. Identify root cause of client’s financial problem and demonstrate options which might assist the client. If appropriate, introduce the client to the Debt Management Plan.
- Have thorough knowledge of counseling options, DMP eligibility and how to assist people to make financially sound decisions.
- Offer educational resources to every client who contacts us.
- Set follow-up actions for all clients who call us for assistance and follow up in a timely manner.
- Record notes of interactions and changes for all counseling sessions within the client database system.
- Follows procedures outlined in the Counseling SOPs, Job Aids and other instructions given by supervisors regarding financial counseling and education for the purpose of helping our clients successfully regain financial stability.
- Research client concerns and resolve or refer to a supervisor for resolution.
- Perform an account review on every account touched.
- Monitor portfolio of clients and review client accounts periodically to assure client retention and success on the Debt Management Plan.
- Attend all mandatory meetings.
- Read and maintain a file of all distributed materials (emails, memos, trainings, articles, etc.).
- Strictly adhere to NFCC Member Quality Standards for certification.
- Strictly adhere to the NFCC Member Quality Standards.
- Answer email from clients.
- Answers all questions and concerns from counselors, coaches, admin personnel, managers, department heads and the President in a timely, professional manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Thorough understanding of the AFS counseling, education and debt management program and thorough understanding of ethics and values of AFS.
- Excellent attendance record and demonstrated flexibility for scheduling and daily responsibilities with an eagerness to learn new skills.
- Ability to apply learning strategies by selecting and using AFS training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the client’s situation.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to clearly and correctly respond to inquiries or complaints from clients and managers.
- Possess active and empathic listening skills to understand information and ideas. Be socially perceptive and aware of others reactions, understanding why they react as they do.
- Able to document information by entering, transcribing, recording, storing or maintaining information in written or electronic format.
- Possess critical thinking skills to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to client problems.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret personal financial information and company correspondence.
- Skilled at persuading others to change their behavior and patterns.
- Possess interpersonal skills to be able to work well in a team environment and to establish and maintain relationships with clients, management staff, coworkers, and the general public.
Experience, Education and Licensure
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prefer AA degree or higher
- Typing skills (minimum 40 wpm)
- Computer skills, experience with Microsoft Office
- Obtain/maintain required counselor certification within required time period (NFCC and individual state standards require certification within 12 months from date of hire).
- Maintain continuing education credits.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands and fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to read a computer monitor and written and typed documents.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to dust, wires, electric currents, computer parts, telephone lines, dogs, moderate to high noise levels, and other environmental issues which exist in a call center environment.