American Financial Solutions (AFS) has achieved national re-accreditation through the New York-based Council on Accreditation (COA). This accreditation was rigorous and involved numerous hours of preparation by members of our staff, executive team, board members, partners, and our clients.
Committed to Your Financial Success test
At American Financial Solutions (AFS), our mission is to empower individuals to improve the quality of their lives through financial education and counseling. Our core values are excellence, independence, transparency and trust, high- customer satisfaction, accessibility to all, and being a valuable resource for financial education and services in our local community and throughout the country.
AFS is a division of North Seattle Community College Foundation. Established in 1998 as a non-profit 501 (c) (3) education and credit counseling agency, we redirect a portion of our proceeds to a fund that provides student scholarships, faculty grants and other academic programs for North Seattle College.
Our Financial Wellness Services
During our time in operation, our certified counselors have assisted over 450,000 people to improve their personal finances, reduce debt, increase savings and develop financial goals through financial education, debt management plans, budgeting and other resources and alternatives. Our services include:
- Financial Education,
- Debt Management Solutions,
- Credit Counseling,
- Budget Counseling,
- Student Loan Counseling
- Pre-Bankruptcy Counseling and Post-Bankruptcy Education,
- Foreclosure Intervention and Assistance,
- Pre-purchasing Housing Counseling and Loan Document Review, and
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Mortgage Loan Packaging.
Our Counselors - the Heart of our Agency
- Acting in the face of overwhelming financial challenges is hard. Getting advice, direction and encouragement from someone you trust can make all the difference. That is why our counselors are the heart and soul of AFS.
- Our certified credit counselors offer sound advice and debt solutions that fit clients’ needs and lifestyle. The relationship that is developed between client and counselor fosters trust and helps lead to better results for everyone. Our counselors are invested in their clients’ success and celebrate with them when they achieve their goals. Clients are treated with respect and support as they make important life changes.
- Our counselors are certified through the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
We are accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA) and a member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC) and the Better Business Bureau. AFS counselors are certified by the NFCC. Our financial educator was awarded the NFCC Financial Educator of the Year award in 2019. A full list of our affiliations is available here.
We have developed our own financial education curriculum, Investing in Yourself. The curriculum covers nine financial topics from Setting Financial Goals and Creating a Budget, Credit and Credit Reports, Intro to Investing, Your Banking Relationship, Keys to Borrowing, Children and Money, Predatory Lending and Identity Protection, Money Management for Young Adults and Paying for College. The series is available in workbook or video format.
Our Committment to You
To ensure that we provide the highest quality counseling and services, AFS routinely monitors our performance and our outcomes. The results are reported at regular intervals and we are consistently innovating to improve the services we provide.