Where are your bills and receipts? If you had to sit down right now and organize your receipts or pay your bills, could you?
It can be a real pain to have to find all of your bills and receipts and organize them in a manner that makes it easy to pay your bills on time and be able to find a receipt if you need it. However, this is just as important as developing a budget or setting your financial goals. If you don’t have your finances organized, you might pay a bill late or pay one twice because you couldn’t find the receipt.
The exercise for today: Get Organized!
- Get file folders, file box, a calendar and any other items to help you get organized.
an area in your home where you have some space to sort through your papers, bills, and records.
- Make a pile for recycling junk mail.
- As you sort through expense items, make notes on your calendar of the due date and the amount.
- Keep income items together such as pay stubs or other records of income.
- For your expense items (electric bill, rent or mortgage, garbage, phone, etc) make a separate folder for each item.
- Also make folders for records such as taxes, medical items, etc.
- Designate space in a filing drawer. You can also pick up a plastic filing box or expandable filing folder.
- Be sure to keep your calendar and calculator with or near all your files!