Ready or not here comes summer! Here are some quick tips to help you save a little cash and get ready for fun in the sun.
1. Have a back yard camping excursion. There is no need to take a far away, expensive trip to have fun. Set-up your tent, barbecue, and maybe even a little pool and pretend you are on a great excursion. The best part, you have a private bathroom nearby! Just think of the memories you’ll create and the money you’ll save!
2. Make some sun tea rather than buying premade, bottled tea. You’ll need a sun tea container or jar, water, and 3-4 bags of “regular” tea (you pick the flavor). Put the tea bags in the jug of water, close the container and let it sit for 2-3 hours in the sun.
Then, add a little sugar and lemon and then refrigerate to chill or pour it over ice and enjoy right away. You may also pour it into reusable bottles and take the tea with you on your summer walks, swims, or other adventures.
3. Want a lot of mileage out of one excursion? Visit the local farmer’s market. You can walk (exercise) around and check out the different items for sale. Shop for some yummy, fresh goodies, and have a great time outdoors with friends or family.
4. Live near the beach or a big park? A great, inexpensive way to have tons of fun is kite flying. You can typically purchase kites for as little as $5.00 at places like Wal-Mart, Target, or Toys R Us. Even kite stores usually have inexpensive models for sale. Make sure you pack a picnic lunch for even more fun outside.
5. Frozen treats! There are a lot of options for saving cash and still enjoying a frozen treat. Buy some popsicle molds and make your own popsicles by filling the molds with juice or pureed fruit and then freezing them.
You can also freeze fruits like bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and more. They make a delicious, cool treat when the weather is hot.